Search For A Song
Lord of the Sabbath, Hear Us Pray
- Lord of the Sabbath, hear us pray,
in this your house, on this your day;
and own, as grateful sacrifice,
the songs which from your temple rise.
- Now met to pray and bless your name,
whose mercies flow each day the same,
whose kind compassions never cease,
we seek instruction, pardon, peace.
- Your earthly Sabbaths, Lord, we love,
but there’s a nobler rest above;
to that our lab’ring souls aspire
with ardent hope and strong desire.
- In your blest kingdom we shall be
from ev’ry mortal trouble free:
no sighs shall mingle with the songs
resounding from immortal tongues,
- No rude alarms of raging foes,
no cares to break the long repose,
no midnight shade, no waning moon,
but sacred, high, eternal noon.
- O long-expected day, begin,
dawn on these realms of woe and sin!
Break, morn of God, upon our eyes;
and let the world’s true Sun arise!