Search For A Song
The Day You Gave Us, Lord, Is Ended
- The day you gave us, Lord, is ended,
the darkness falls at your behest;
to you our morning hymns ascended,
your praise shall hallow now our rest.
- We thank you that your church, unsleeping
while earth rolls onward into light,
through all the world her watch is keeping,
and rests not now by day or night.
- As o’er each continent and island
the dawn leads on another day,
the voice of pray’r is never silent,
nor dies the strain of praise away.
- The sun, that bids us rest, is waking
our brethren ’neath the western sky,
and hour by hour fresh lips are making
your wondrous doings heard on high.
- So be it, Lord; your throne shall never,
like earth’s proud empires, pass away:
but stand and rule and grow forever,
’til all your creatures own your sway.