Search For A Song
Ah, Holy Jesus, How Hast Thou Offended
- Ah, holy Jesus, how hast thou offended,
that man to judge thee hath in hate pretended?
By foes derided, by thine own rejected,
O most afflicted.
- Who was the guilty who brought this upon thee?
Alas, my treason, Jesus hath undone thee.
’Twas I, Lord Jesus, I it was denied thee:
I crucified thee.
- Lo, the Good Shepherd for the sheep is offered;
the slave hath sinned, and the Son hath suffered:
for man’s atonement, while he nothing heedeth,
- For me, kind Jesus, was thine incarnation,
thy mortal sorrow, and thy life’s oblation:
thy death of anguish and thy bitter passion,
for my salvation.
- Therefore kind Jesus, since I cannot pay thee,
I do adore thee, and will ever pray thee,
think on thy pity and thy love unswerving,
not my deserving.